Lighter, Lower, More Agile: World Premiere Of The New Porsche Cayman
Porsche is celebrating the world premiere of the new Cayman at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show. The third generation of the Cayman has been completely new developed. It is lower and longer, lighter and faster, more efficient and more powerful than ever.
A longer wheelbase, wider track and larger wheels enhance the driving performance of the mid-engine sports car to a level without equal in its competitive class. The new two-seater is – after the 911 Carrera and Boxster – the third sports car model line from Porsche to feature innovative lightweight body design.
The new Cayman is up to 30 kg lighter, depending on the specific model and equipment, and it consumes up to 15 per cent less fuel per 100 km than the previous model – despite higher engine and driving performance.
2014 Porsche Cayman S Tech Specs:
- Base price (MSRP): $72,900CDN
- Price as tested: $95,635
- Options: Aqua Blue metallic paint ($820), 20-inch Carrera S wheels ($1,790), Porsche Torque Vectoring (PVT) ($1,510), PDK transmission ($3,660), Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) ($2,050), Sport Chrono Package ($2,710), Porsche Design steering wheel ($560), sport seats ($2,650), tool kit ($525), Premium package ($1,340), Infotainment package with Bose surround sound ($4,560).
- Type of vehicle: Rear-wheel-drive, mid-engine sport coupe
- Engine: 3.4-litre flat six-cylinder
- Horsepower: 325 hp @ 3500-4000 rpm
- Torque: 266 lb.-ft. at 1750-2500 rpm
- Transmission: 6-speed manual or 7-speed PDK automatic (optional)
- Brakes: Four-wheel disc with ABS
- Fuel Economy (L/100 km): City 9.9 L (29 mpg); Hwy 6.6 L (43 mpg)
2014 Porsche Cayman S Gallery
Photos by Russell Purcell