The MINI John Cooper Works Rally enters the world of cross-country rally
X-raid and MINI team up with plans to demolish both the MINI Cooper’s cutesy persona along with competition at the 2017 Dakar Rally. Based on the all-new MINI Countryman, the new MINI John Cooper Works Rally debuts as the next motorsport machine to tackle the world of cross-country rally.
The German automaker has long been involved in motorsports especially in the arena of rally-raid and the FIA World Cup. But the MINI John Cooper Works Rally is the result of extensive development through racing experience of the existing MINI ALL4 Racing and has been adapted to suit the necessary safety requirements and the current race regulations as laid out by motorsport’s governing body Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA).
Powering this rally-ready MINI is BMW’s TwinPower Turbo Six-Cylinder Diesel engine, designed with endurance competition in mind, producing 340-hp @ 3250 rpm, and torque of around 800 lb.ft @ 1850 rpm with the regulatory 38mm air restrictor in place. Inside, the MINI John Cooper Works Rally finds a carbon fibre dashboard area with three sections: driver, central and co-driver info units displaying essential info.
For the hardcore, here are the specs for the new MINI John Cooper Works Rally:
- Engine: BMW Group TwinPower Turbo Six-Cylinder Diesel
- Output: 340 bhp / 3250 rpm
- Torque (approx.): 800 Nm / 1850 rpm
- Capacity: 2993 cc
- Air restrictor: 38 mm diameter
- Top speed (approx.): 184 km/h
- Transmission: six-speed sequential gearbox
- Braking: 4 x six-piston calipers – air-cooled front, air / water-cooled rear. Discs: 320 x 32 mm
- Length / width / height: 4350 / 1999 / 2000 mm
- Wheel base: 2900 mm
- Track width: 1736 mm
- Weight: 1952,5 kg
- Fuel tank capacity (approx): 385 litres
- Chassis: tubular steel with composite bodywork
- Tyres: BF Goodrich 245/80R 16