Piloting the new 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 through the gloriously windy roads of the Angeles Canyon just outside L.A. was perhaps the best way to put this redesigned beast’s horsepower, torque, and handling abilities to the test.
Read our full 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 review here.
Unleashing 760 horses and 625 lb-ft of torque took a split second, while the Shelby literally jumped up and fired forward like a missile at the slightest pressing of the accelerator pedal. Thanks to the V8 5.2-litre supercharged engine, power is – as we would expect from anything Shelby – grotesque.
To put the Shelby GT500’s 760 horsepower into perspective, here’s how it compares to the 2020 Mustang lineup:
|2020 Mustang EcoBoost||310-hp @ 5,500 rpm|
|2020 Mustang 2.3L High Performance Package||330-hp @ 6,000 rpm|
|2020 Mustang GT||460-hp @ 7,500 rpm|
|2020 Mustang Mach 1||480-hp|
|2020 Mustang Shelby GT500||760-hp @ 7,300 rpm|
The numbers: 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500’s key specs:
- Horsepower: 760 @ 7,300 rpm
- Torque: 625 ft-lbs. @ 5,000 rpm
- Redline: 7,500 rpm
- Top speed: 180 mph (electronically limited)
- Engine: DOHC Ti-VCT port fuel injection V8
- Transmission: Tremec TR-9070 7-speed dual clutch transmission
- Exhaust: Dual catalyst, 2.75-in. stainless with X-pipe and fully active dual mu¦ers and quad polished stainless tips
- Brakes: Four-wheel power disc brakes with four-sensor, four-channel antilock braking system and AdvanceTrac electronic stability control
- Wheels – front: 20 in. x 11 in. flow formed aluminum alloy
- Tires – front: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 305/30R20
- Wheels – rear: 20 in. x 11 in. flow formed aluminum alloy
- Tires – rear: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 315/30R20
Taking the 760 horsepower Mustang for a spin
The first thing that hit us when pressing the ignition button on the GT500 is the growl – a judgement day-like growl. Being parked along with a dozen other GT500s in an L.A underground parking garage at the starting point of the drive just exponentially amplified the feeling.
But what characterizes the experience with the new GT500 is that the wait, or pedal lag, is almost non-existent, thanks to the Tremec 7-speed dual-clutch transmission. This box replaced a good ‘ol 6-speed unit that was available on the previous GT500.
If tackling the tight roads of the Angeles Canyon was a ludicrous challenge that required diapers and Gravol on board a S197-chassis GT500, the new iteration makes for an easier endeavour. And that 7-Speed Tremec, although leaving us a little sceptical at first, turned out to be in the right gear every time we heavily tossed the ‘Stang in and out of corners.
With a new model-specific suspension that recalibrates dampening according to the several drive modes available (like Normal, Sport and Track), the new Mustang Shelby GT500 joyfully pairs high performance and bottom-end torque with precision handling. An experience virtually devoid of body roll when tossing around the 4,225 pounds that it inevitably has to carry around.
Once a raw, bystander-injuring instrument, this top of the line Mustang has been precisely sharpened to compete with other 100k price bracket competitors, packing enough power to put them all on notice.
Interior and exterior 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 pictures:
Photos by Amee Reehal.