There’s a LEGO set for everything these days, and cars are no exception. Particularly in the last few years, the Danish toy company has hit the market hard, releasing a wide range of vehicle-focused sets appealing to a variety of motorheads, for all ages and skill levels.
From new releases including classics like James Bond’s DB5 and a 1967 Mustang Fastback to new vehicles hitting dealerships including the 911 GT3 RS, Bugatti Chiron, and new Land Rover Defender set prematurely revealing the real thing before its official world debut.
End of the day, the famous brick-builder is bringing our favourite rides to life and we love them for it. From 2-in1 rebuilds offering two completely different vehicles to motorized options and pull-backs for cars on the go.
Here’s a look the latest LEGO Technic Car sets, LEGO Creator Expert Cars, and a few other sets worthy of this list.
LEGO Technic Cars
For the more hardcore LEGO fans, these Technic series car sets offer more advanced models with more complex technical functions by adding interconnecting plastic rods and parts to the popular blocks.
LEGO Technic Jeep Wrangler
Release date: January 1, 2021
The Technic Jeep Wrangler is LEGO’s first attempt at the iconic SUV, bringing off-roading and rock-climbing into the home. Sporting that iconic seven-slot front grill, big burly tires, and even fold-down rear seats, the LEGO Technic Jeep Wrangler looks to capture the high-performance 4×4’s true character. Like most of LEGO’s car replica models, this Jeep version gains a bunch of cool moving pieces and features — so when the 665-piece set is complete, it not only looks the part but has the features to back it up. This one in its yellow-and-black colour scheme finds a button-operated front steering system and powerful axle-articulation suspension to conquer the small obstacles aheads. Other notables include a full-size spare tire at the back, those classic round headlights, a front winch, and when complete will measures over 4.5 in. (12 cm) high, 9.5 in. (24 cm) long and 5 in. (13 cm) wide. The LEGO Technic Jeep Wrangler goes on sale January 1, 2021 for $49.99 across the US and $69.99 in Canada.
- 665 pieces
- Ages 9+
- Item No. 42122
- Measures over 4.5 in. (12 cm) high, 9.5 in. (24 cm) long and 5 in. (13 cm) wide
- Front steering, powerful axle-articulation suspension and a winch
- A button-operated front steering system and powerful axle-articulation suspension
LEGO Technic Porsche 911 RSR
Release date: November 2020
The famous brick builder enters the world of GT endurance racing with the new Porsche 911 RSR, part of the Technic lineup. Sporting an intricate cockpit including a radar screen and fire suppression system, an aerodynamic design with a raised rear wing, and a burly 6-cylinder engine with moving pistons, the new Porsche is a nice companion to the 2,704-piece Technic Porsche 911 GT3 RS released back in 2016. For ages 10 and up, the 1,580-piece 911 RSR set will measure over 5” (13cm) high, 19” (50cm) long and 7” (20cm) wide when completed. Not as many pieces as other Technic sets, this Porsche 911 RSR’s realistic movement and mechanisms are a great way to introduce younger LEGO fans to the world of engineering. Other cool features include a working steering wheel, a track map of the Laguna Seca circuit printed onto the driver’s door, working differential, and independent suspension. The Technic Porsche 911 RSR is likely the closest you’ll get to owning this 510-hp German rocket.
- 1,580 pieces
- Ages 10+
- Item No. 42096
- Measures over 5” (13cm) high, 19” (50cm) long and 7” (20cm) wideV12 engine with moving pistons, steering, and front and rear suspension
- Detailed cockpit with a radar screen and fire suppression system
- Moving pistons with the 6-cylinder engine
- A rear wing with ‘swan neck’ mounts, plus extended rear diffuser and aerodynamic side mirrors
LEGO Technic Lamborghini Sián FKP 37
Release date: July 2020
It’s safe to say, LEGO went the distance with their first-ever Lamborghini set. Limited to only 38 models, the 3,696-piece Lamborghini Sián FKP 37 arrives in a luxury box with a glossy instruction book worthy of hogging space on the coffee-table; the book includes extra photos and behind-the-scenes interviews with the Lego Group and Lamborghini. With a burly V12 and numerous moveable parts, this Raging Bull collectors’ set worth a look – if you can get your hands on one.
- 3,696 pieces
- Ages 10+
- Item No. 42115
- Measure over 5” (13cm) high, 23” (60cm) long and 9” (25cm) wide when complete
- V12 engine with moving pistons, steering, and front and rear suspension
- 8-speed sequential transmission, movable rear spoiler, opening front and rear hood, detailed disc brakes and golden rims
- Includes a decorative display plate, collectors’ booklet, and unique serial number
LEGO Technic Dom’s Dodge Charger
Release date: April 2020
Fans of the Fast & Furious movie series will definitely remember Dom Toretto’s badass, jet black 1970 Dodge Charger R/T going up against all those Japanese tuner cars. Good news: now you can own your own for that vacant spot on the fireplace mantle, thanks to Lego. Part of the TECHNIC series, the 1077-piece Dom’s Dodge Charger set is available for $99 with shipments starting April 27, 2020.
- 1077 pieces
- Ages 10+
- Item No. 42111
- Measuring 15” (39cm) long, 6” (16cm) wide and 4” (11cm) high
- This car appeared in the first F&F film and few others
- Features moving wishbone suspension and pistons, a burly air blower, and proper steering system, pair of nitrous bottles in the rear and those massive wheels
LEGO Technic Land Rover Defender
Release date: October 2019
One of the most iconic SUVs is back as of late 2019. But if the real Defender isn’t in the cards, LEGO and Land Rover team up on this gorgeous Technic set arriving in October 2019. Close to 2,600 pieces, this burly little sport utility sports a front winch, detailed engine, 4 speed sequential gearbox, all-wheel drive, and an independent suspension to conquer the uncompromising road ahead.
- 2573 pieces
- Ages 11+
- Item No. 42110
- Measuring over 22cm high, 42cm long and 20cm wide
- Developed in partnership with Land Rover
- Includes detailed 6-cylinder in-line engine
- 4 speed sequential gearbox, all-wheel drive with three differentials, independent suspension, working winch
LEGO Technic Bugatti Chiron
Release date: May 2018
If your kids are LEGO gurus who need a challenge – and more importantly, you’re a car nut – put them to work with the new 1:8 scale LEGO Technic Bugatti Chiron. Best part? Display it in your office – it’s a win-win in our books. LEGO teamed up with Bugatti to produce this 3,599 piece project that finds a unique serial number under the car’s hood, a burly W16 engine with pistons that move, and the doors open up to a detailed cabin displaying a Technic 8-speed gearbox with movable paddle gearshift and a steering wheel showcasing that glossy Bugatti emblem.
- 3599 pieces
- Ages 16+
- Item No. 42083
- Measures over 5” (14cm) high, 22” (56cm) long and 9” (25cm) wide
- Developed in partnership with Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S
- Includes a unique serial number located beneath the hood
- The W16 engine has moving pistons
LEGO Technic Porsche 911 GT3 RS
Release date: June 2016
The Porsche 911 GT3 RS sports the most powerful naturally aspirated engine in a road-legal 911 ever, at time of writing. This 520-hp RS rocket marks the company’s third GT road-approved sports car within a year, coming off the heels of the 911 GT3 and 911 GT3 R2. But you’re buying LEGO, not a race bred racer. This 2,704 set finds detailed, orange bodywork, red suspension springs, detailed headlights, taillights, brake calipers and rims with low-profile tires. Plus, a sweet collector’s book for the true Porsche GT fans.
- 2704 pieces
- Ages 16+
- Item No. 42056
- Measures over 6” high, 22” long and 9” wide
- Porsche GT fans also get a collector’s book chronicling the history of the sports coupe
- Accurate orange body work, red suspension springs, headlights and taillights and low-profile tires
LEGO Technic Rally Car
Release date: January 2018
This 2-in-1 set isn’t based on any particular real-world model like the LEGO projects above, but it’s badass nonetheless. And you can’t go wrong with a rally car. This 1,000+ set finishes with a sporty blue, white, red and black bodywork with rally stickers. Inside, and in true rally car form, the cabin finds a proper roll cage along with racing seats. Not really a drifter type? No worries, this car also rebuilds into a little off-road buggy.
- 1005 pieces
- Ages 10-16
- Item No. 42077
- Measures over 9” (24cm) high, 16” (42cm) long and 8” (21cm) wide
- Also rebuilds into a Buggy: 2-in-1 model
- Features a working steering and suspension, large rear spoiler, 6-spoke red rims with low-profile tires, detailed grill, opening hood
LEGO Technic Mercedes-Benz Arocs
Release date: August 2015
You better make some shelf space for this huge LEGO set. These massive, German powerhouses built for serious construction, the real-life Acros is to vehicles what the LEGO variant is to, well, LEGO. Sitting over a foot tall and almost 2-feet in length, this 2,793 piece project comes with a motor and advanced pneumatic system (a system that uses compressed air to transmit and control energy, if you were wondering).
- 2793 pieces
- Ages 11-16
- Item No. 42043
- Measures over 12” high, 21” long and 5” wide
- One of the largest LEGO Technic sets ever
- Includes large motor and new advanced pneumatic system
- Extendable crane arm, 4 suspended axles, double wheels on the 2 rear axles, opening tailgate, warning beacons, wing mirrors
LEGO Technic Black Champion Racer
This one actually moves with a pull-back motor, so it’s a great build for kids. With only 140 pieces, the Black Champion Racer features a contoured body shape with distinctive black & orange and chrome decals. Added bonus, especially for kids: this combines with the Desert Racer to produce badass truck, also with a couple pull-back motors. This car-truck combo model measures over 3-Inch (10cm) high, 8-Inch (21cm) long and 3-Inch (10cm) wide.
- 137 pieces
- Ages 7 – 14
- Item No. 42026
- Measures over 2-Inch (6cm) high, 9-Inch (24cm) long and 3-Inch (10cm) wide
- Features a pull-back motor
- Combines with the LEGO Desert Racer truck (Item No. 42027)
LEGO Technic 24 Hours Race Car
This one is for the real circuit race fans. Equipped with suicide doors, all-round independent suspension, high fenders and an opening hood & engine cover, working front steering, and big V8 with pistons that move, LEGO’s rendition of a 24 Hours Race Car is on-point and well-executed. To level things up, you can upgrade to to the LEGO Power Functions set that brings the LED headlights, gull-wing doors and engine hood all to life. This set is a 2-in-1 so there’s also an SUV Racer sitting over 6” high ready to rumble as well.
- 1,219 pieces
- Ages 11 – 16
- Item No. 42039
- Measures over 6” (16cm) high, 15” (39cm) long and 7” (19cm) wide
- 2-in-1 model rebuilds into a SUV Racer
- Upgrade to optional LEGO Power Functions set for motorized functions
LEGO Creator Expert Cars
These sets focus more on themes, and for car fans, LEGO includes some popular, iconic models from the past which make them great for all ages.
LEGO Creator Expert 1967 Mustang Fastback
Release date: March 2019
The 1967 Mustang Fastback is a true classic. LEGO and Ford team up to bring the iconic muscle car to life come March 1st with a 1,471 piece set, part of the Creator Expert series. Rolling on 5-spoke rims wrapped in those grippy road-gripping tires, expect a complete project here including working steering, dark-blue bodywork, white racing stripes, bonnet scoop, printed Mustang grille badge, and GT emblems. The LEGO Creator Expert: Ford Mustang officially goes on sale March 1st 2019, available directly from LEGO stores.
- 1,471 piece
- Ages 16+
- Item No. 10265
- 3” (10cm) high, measuring 13” (34cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide
- Customizable with add-ons: supercharger, rear ducktail spoiler, beefy exhaust pipes, front chin spoiler and a nitrous oxide tank
- Inside, the classic seats, radio, working steering and a mid-console gearshift are all on display with a removable roof panel
LEGO Creator Expert 2019 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy
Release date: August 2019
LEGO immortalizes the new 2019 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy as a 12-inch long, 1,023 Creator Expert set ons sale August 2019 for US$99.99. Measuring 7-inches high and a foot long, this set isn’t all that crazy either with a reasonable 1,023 bricks to work with — so get the kids involved, and when complete, display it on your desk in the man cave. LEGO has recently shown their true skill translating real cars into plastic bricks — getting some motorcycles into the mix was the missing link. Let’s hope the LEGO Fat Boy is the beginning of something new.
- 1,023 piece
- Ages 16+
- Item No. 10269
- 7″ high, measuring 12” long
- working steering wheel, brake, shift levers, replica tank-top speedo, solid-disc wheels
- Based on the 2019 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy motorcycle
LEGO Creator Expert MINI Cooper
Release date: November 2020
The iconic little British car comes to life with this classic MK VII model – arguably the best-looking variant to date (in our humble opinions, anyway). The doors open up to a tan interior with patterned seats, veneer-style dashboard, turning steering wheel, and moving gearshift and handbrake. Or, just remove the roof to get a better look inside. Oh, and round things out, the MINI Cooper set comes with a picnic basket and blanket. Nice touch, LEGO.
- 1077 pieces
- Ages 16+
- Item No. 10242
- Measures over 4″high, 9″ long and 5″ wide
- Replicates the classic MINI Cooper Mk VII
- Removable roof to expose the cabin
- Extra pieces include picnic basket and blanket
LEGO Creator Expert Ferrari F40
Release date: August 2015
The iconic F40 was the last car Enzo Ferrari personally approved himself to celebrate 40 years of Ferrari awesomeness back in the late 1980s when the F40 supercar was first introduced. Now, you can build and showcase your own with a 1,158 set that looks pretty awesome once complete (and the closest you’ll get to owning your own F40). When complete, the F40 extends 10″ long, sitting 3″ high, putting some cool features like those unmistakable pop-up lights, long stretched-out horizontal design cues, a 90-degree V8, and an impressive cabin all on show.
- 1158 pieces
- Ages 14+
- Item No. 10248
- Measures over 3” high, 10” long and 5” wide
- Pop-up headlights, side air intakes and a vented rear hatch opens up to a twin-turbocharged V8 engine with 90-degree view
- Doors open up to cabled door handles, steering wheel with Ferrari logo and 2 red racing seats
- One of the best & most iconic sports cars of all time, enough said
LEGO Creator Expert Volkswagen T1 Camper Van
Release date: October 2011
The VW Camper is still going strong today, though not available in North America anymore. But here’s your chance to own the original T1 from 1962. Over 1,300 pieces, the classic van sits fairly high at over 5″ with a roof that complete comes off to expose a sweet interior with bed, kitchenette, bathroom and all. For the price, we’d say this LEGO set is one of the best-valued for all you get. Plus, it looks great sitting on the mantle.
- 1334 pieces
- Ages 16+
- Item No. 10220
- Measures over 5” high and 11” long
- Based on the classic Volkswagen 1962 camper van (T1)
- Cool features include authentic VW air-cooled flat four cylinder boxer engine, front cabin bench seat, gear stick, angled dashboard and iconic spherical speedometer
LEGO Creator Expert James Bond Aston Martin DB5
Release date: July 2018
Where do we even start with Agent 007’s iconic 1964 sports car by LEGO. So many features, so little time. This brilliant Creator Expert series DB5 adds a few more layers to the typical LEGO car build featuring a wealth of authentic gadgets and gizmos you’d expect from Q’s workshop. All the vital things Bond would need including rotating license plates, tire slashers, machines guns, bullet shield, and of course, an ejector seat. It also finds opening doors and a detailed interior with a concealable radar tracker and door compartment with telephone; all ‘powered’ by a straight-6 engine under the opening hood. Whether you’re a 007 fan or not, this collectable is a fun one. To get a real sense of this special DB5, watch the Bond movie Goldfinger see all these features in action. If you’re into Bond cars, check out our list of 007’s most memorable.
- 1295 pieces
- Ages 16+
- Item No. 10262
- Measures over 3” (10cm) high, 13” (34cm) long and 4” (12cm) wide
- Lots of features including rotating license plates, tire slashers, machines guns, bullet shield, and of course, an ejector seat
- Also, drum-lacquered macaroni connector, 2×4 tile and 1M beam, plus a printed 1×2 tile with grille pattern
Other Car Lego Sets
These LEGO car sets are not in the Technic or Creator Expert series but they’re definitely worthy and belong on your shortlist.
LEGO Ideas Caterham Seven 620R
Specializing in lightweight sports car, British automaker Caterham Cars may not be well-known by most, but car lovers will appreciate the Seven 620 R – the fastest car by the company, sprinting 0-60 mph in a whopping 2.79-seconds backed by 310-hp via a 2.0L supercharged Ford Duratec engine. The LEGO variant does a good job replicating the original, featuring a removable nose cone, engine and engine cover, and an opening trunk/boot containing axle stands. The set also comes with booklet with details on the Seven 620R.
- 773 pieces
- Ages 12+
- Item No. 21307
- Measures over 3” (10cm) high, 11” (28cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide
- Removable nose cone, engine and engine cover, and an opening boot containing axle stands
- Booklet about the Seven 620 R (Caterham Cars’ fastest car to date)
LEGO DeLorean Time Machine
Marty McFly would be proud of the LEGO DeLorean Time Machine. Based on the 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 as seen in the Back to the Future trilogy. The LEGO DeLorean kit includes the tow main characters from the movie: Doc Brown and Marty McFly. This DeLorean is the all-in-one model and comes with instructions to convert it to the original, hover-converted, and railroad models from each of the three movies. At only 401 bricks, McFly’s AMC LEGO car is a good one for kids, though they probably have no idea who Marty McFly is.
- 401 pieces
- Ages 10+
- Item No. 21103-1
- Measures 26 x 18.8 x 6 cm (10.2 x 7.4 x 2.4 in)
- Open the gull-wing doors, just like the real car
- Fold up the wheels and engage hover mode
LEGO Dark Knight Tumbler
Amongst the most notable film-bound vehicles in recent years, Dark Knight’s Tumbler has finally made it to LEGO form, ending our string of sad attempts at recreating it ourselves. This 15-inch long model is surprisingly well detailed, down to the adjustable top wings, intricate interior, and large, custom rubber-treaded front wheels. When completed, this blacked-out crime-fighter looks absolutely menacing, especially with those massive protruding wheels which are a LEGO first. If flying is more your thing, LEGO just launched a huge 2,300-piece 1989 Batwing set.
- 1869 pieces
- Ages 16+
- Item No. 76023
- Measures over 5” (15cm) high, 15” (40cm) long and 9” (24cm) wide
- Adjustable top wings, intricate interior, and large, custom rubber-treaded front wheels (new LEGO wheels)
- Includes Batman and The Joker minifigures, plus fact sheet about the Tumbler from the movie